No Fairytale Ending Despite Andersson's Heroics
Posted by: Middlesex till we die (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2019 10:18

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2019 12:53 by BarmierKev.

Re: No Fairytale Ending Despite Andersson's Heroics
Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2019 13:14

One bright note Beefy, not entirely unrelated, is the Manchester Metro Tram system.

Whisks you straight from Piccadilly to Old Trafford and a short walk to the ground.

Likewise returning you to our lodge at The Premier Inn located in Deansgate and a short walk. Plus one very decent pub not far away.

Delighted to note that the locals retained and did not destroy the track alignment of the closed Great Central Route.

This route now forms part of the tram network which extends from Altrinham to Bury and Rochdale and points between. Well done to them.

Trams are extremely frequent and boarding during the rush hour similar to getting on the Jubilee or Met.

The Great Central station now hosts sporting events.

Only a sixties muppet like Beeching would have closed a main station in central Manchester at the behest of the then political muppets of that time.

So well done to the Manchester City Council for making the best job of the mess they were presented with.

Pity about the MX cricket, good in patches, though being realistic, we were second best to Lanky at Lords and could not realistically expect to win at OT and we did nt.

Our thanks to John Simpson and James Harris whose seventh wicket stand of 107 broke a longstanding 7th wicket partnership since 1896 which featured a guy named H.R. Bromley-Davenport, a MX name from the distant past.

They also ensured that the game made it into the last session on Thursday, much to the relief of those of us who booked for the full four days.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2019 13:34

I'm guessing Hugh Bromley-Davenport wasn't brought up on the local council estate (not that there were any then)

He is still joint holder of one other record-

The longest surname in test cricket.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2019 18:46

SM

There was an eighties proposal to close Marylebone and turn the line into an express coach way so it wasn't just the sixties. Broad Street was closed of course but the alignment is used by the excellent East London line. Some of the ancient ads on adjacent buildings date back to Broad Street days. I think a lfair chunk of the original DLR is built on old alignments too. Croydon Tramlink too.

Perhaps it is not so much good sense from the locals as a matter of whether anyone managed to come up with an alternative use for the line.

Much less painful posting off than on topic right now.

Adelaide

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2019 18:51

Public Transport...
Manchester Tram got me hypnotised!
Dingy noted me...lol
We only went from Deansgate to Old Trafford gault,and was surprised how close the trams were running.
On 3rd day,our tram at Deansgate,and another came onto the same platform behind it!
Very good service,as I work on LUL it interested me a lot seeing how it was ran.

Date: 20 September, 2019 21:04

As a matter of interest Adelaide I was an objector to the eighties closure of Marylebone. I was later joined by Brent, Harrow and Hillingdon Councils which overturned the lunatic political muppets desire to turn it into a bus way. They were gonna change bus wheels from rail to road at Northolt. Crazy.

Date: 20 September, 2019 21:06

Quote:
chunkyinargyll
I'm guessing Hugh Bromley-Davenport wasn't brought up on the local council estate (not that there were any then)
He is still joint holder of one other record-

The longest surname in test cricket.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Very much a toff and not a ruffian chunky.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2019 21:29

Quote:
Seaxe_man1
As a matter of interest Adelaide I was an objector to the eighties closure of Marylebone. I was later joined by Brent, Harrow and Hillingdon Councils which overturned the lunatic political muppets desire to turn it into a bus way. They were gonna change bus wheels from rail to road at Northolt. Crazy.
Good for you, SM. IIRC those were the darkest days for public transport with ideologues like Nicholas Ridley in charge and that ridiculous assertion that if you were using the bus after the age of 30 you were a failure. Of course coaches were public transport but they were deregulated, so a Good Thing to the right.

I suppose I should insert a seamless link here and post something about our coaches but I really cannot be bothered.

Adelaide

Date: 22 September, 2019 00:32

We are pretty much on the same page Adelaide. Both Middlesex men. You in the NE, me in the NW. A Marylebone update. At time of proposed closesure handling 95000 a week. Now about four to five times that. Route to Oxford reopened via Bicester. Services to Brum Kidderminster. When East West completed. Service from Aylesbury extended to Milton Keynes. Could extend to Manchester and Liverpool.. Ran Wrexham service but problems with Virgin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net