Current Page: 1 of 4
Nearly done for another year- Derbyshire 23-26 September
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2019 14:11

Any changes?

Will Paul Stirling be given a chance to say good-bye, or will Stuart Law consider that a waste of a place as Stirlo won't be here next year?

Does Robbie White get a chance?

Will we find out if Tim Murtagh has decided to stay with us, or Ireland instead?

I reckon we will find out which way he has jumped in the next week.

Only certainty is Martin Andersson deserves to keep his place.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 28/09/2019 21:39 by BarmierKev.

Re: Nearly done for another year- Derbyshire 23-26 September
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2019 15:24

One thing is for sure,the weather for next week looks very dodgy,but,there again it is the end of September!
After watching Andersson at Lancs,I hope he doesn't just get another chance next week,but,for next season as well.
I feel its time to give Gubbins a rest.
Stirlo? We discussed him,but it was mentioned by SM that he is playing for Ireland (I mean Stirlo,not Seaxe Man!)

Posted by: freddie tittlemouse (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2019 17:45

Needle match - will determine whether we finish 7th 8th or 9th. Are we all palpitating with excitement?

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2019 19:27

The final round of matches will begin with Middlesex in 8th place, 10 points behind 7th-placed Derbyshire and 6 points ahead of 9th-placed Worcestershire. If the weather doesn’t allow this match and Sussex v Worcestershire to produce results, then those sides would probably finish in the aforementioned order. The forecast suggests that Monday is at little risk of disruption, that the opposite is true for Tuesday, and that Wednesday and Thursday are somewhere in between.

I would like to think that our players will be keen to enter the winter off the back of a good performance. However, I am not sure whether they will take much motivation from the fact that the most we could achieve from this match would be a 7th-placed finish, as the season started with our ambitions much higher than that.

I look forward to the squad announcement on Sunday and the announcement of the line-ups on Monday morning, as it will probably generate some debate. Surely Martin Andersson will retain his place. It would be nice if Luke Hollman is given a debut, although it would be a surprise if he plays as a lone spinner instead of Nathan Sowter or if we play two spinners, especially as we didn’t select any spinners for our previous County Championship match at Lord’s v Durham.

Dawid Malan entered our match v Lancashire at Old Trafford needing 67 more for 1,000 Championship runs for the season, and ended it still needing 67 after he made a pair. He has surely been our best batsman this year, so hopefully he will end the season on a bright note and by reaching that landmark, rather than on the back of a second successive poor performance. However, despite my interest in Malan’s performance, I would prefer our top three to score some runs and/or see off the new ball before Malan has to come to the crease.

Posted by: Bring back the Crusaders (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2019 22:10

Maybe the dodgy weather will prevent us finishing the season by losing at home.
Hope Derbyshire win the T20 - a team with limited resources reaching the finals.
Take note Mr. Fraser

Posted by: Jameslawler (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2019 12:11

The season end is almost upon us already. The season has gone so quick. The fixture schedule has been very poor alone with Middlesex poor performances has certanally left me feeling a bit flat about this season. The weather for Monday looks fine but for.the rest of the week looks very rain affected but I will make the effort to go to lords as its the last game of.the season. I hope a few younger players will he given the chance so we can see what they can do. Certanally can't do any worse than the more senior pros. Stirling shouldn't be picked as he's not here next season but hope his around so we can give.him a decent send off.

Date: 22 September, 2019 14:49

15 man squad named-

Malan (c), Andersson, Bamber, Cummins, Eskinazi, Finn, Gubbins, Harris, Holden, Murtagh ,Robson, Roland-Jones, Scott, Simpson (wk), Sowter.

Date: 22 September, 2019 18:59

Despite the hope that youngsters such as Luke Hollman, Robbie White or even Jack Davies would get a go, none of them are included in Middlesex’s squad, and nor are Paul Stirling or Tom Helm.

Posted by: wembleylion (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2019 20:16

I think Robbie White has probably had enough chances.

Date: 22 September, 2019 20:23

I don't think there are any question marks over Robbie White's keeping, and he's made plenty of runs for the seconds in the past (a little less this year). He won't unseat Simpson in the first team, so his only chance with us would be purely as a batsman.

As we've also got Jack Davies as a reserve keeper I suspect we wouldn't stand in Robbie White's way if someone else offered him a deal. His current contract expires this time next year.

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2019 10:24

Derby elect to bowl, no toss.

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2019 10:31

Scott, Sowter and Eski miss out. Seam friendly pitch I guess!

Posted by: MiddleToWest (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2019 10:53

Who's this Gubbins lad? Is he any relation to Nick Gubbins, the opener who looked like a class act a couple of years ago and just got pipped by Jennings for a place in the Test side? If they're brothers then all the skill appears to have been with the lad who was here before.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2019 13:36

Quote:
wembleylion
I think Robbie White has probably had enough chances.

Really? How many CC matches has he played? As many as Rossington?

I can quite imagine some of the posts made about the insanity of letting Higgins/Podmore/Rossington go reappearing with White's name in their place a few years down the road!

Given that Simmo lost his place last year when his batting form went with Eski keeping, I really don't see that White has no chance at all of replacing Simmo. If he gets the chance and does well with bat and gloves he would surely stay in. Nobody's place should be absolutely guaranteed.

Adelaide

Posted by: wembleylion (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2019 13:42

Adelaide - have you seen his averages,last season and this?

Date: 23 September, 2019 15:10

Bad light brings an early tea.
Everyone has questioned why only 3 floodlights..Edrich stand light out of action,as not been watered and risen.
If 4 lights working,would the light still be questioned by the umpires?

Date: 23 September, 2019 15:15

They think it might be to do with the building works (possibly electricity cut off)

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2019 17:40

Quote:
wembleylion
Adelaide - have you seen his averages,last season and this?

I know they are pretty sure but again based on how many matches?

I suspect that there are a fair few fine players whose early statistics were unpromising. Vague memory (partly down to the sun and the latest pint of cerveza) suggests that Graham Barlow struggled early on Mike Smith too? The demand now is for instant success, something which also leads to players prematurely being bigged up as Test prospects. Two of our current batsmen spring to mind.

I think club management sometimes had to look a bit deeper than actual figures. Does a player have really good technique? Are they perceived to be strong characters? If yes to both then you are likely to give them longer. If it had been based on figures alone, would Michael Vaughan have ever played for England?

I am not specifically defending Robbie White but judgements seem to me to be far too instant these days.

Adelaide

Date: 23 September, 2019 18:51

Middlesex entered this match on the back of three straight County Championship defeats, but a combination of our match position and the forecast for the remainder of the match means that we are well-placed to halt our losing streak. We are also well-placed to avoid a second successive points deduction for a slow over-rate, as a team is immune from such a deduction if they spend less than four hours fielding (the weather makes it uncertain whether we will spend more than four hours in the field), and the fact we have not selected a spinner is also helpful for our over-rate, as we ironically seem to be less likely to end in the red if we don’t bowl many overs of spin than if we do.

Well done to Sam Robson on scoring 93 and to Dawid Malan on getting to within 16 of 1,000 County Championship runs for the season.

I am not sure how we can go about winning from here to leapfrog Derbyshire in the table, so I guess all we can do is aim to pick up as any bonus points as we can. We might as well bat until the point when we feel that we can pick up no more batting points (unless we are all out before then), then try to pick up bowling points.

Due to today's weather, I imagine that 104 overs will be available tomorrow rather than the standard 96. However, I can see the amount of overs bowled tomorrow being closer to 4 than to 104!

Nic Pothas has spoken to our YouTube page about today.

Date: 24 September, 2019 10:39

Seeing couple of pics on twitter,day 2 of the Autumn County Game has a rather delayed start.
With only 3 floodlights working,makes the light even more dodgy.
But,with the forecast saying 'could' be thundery showers,the lights cant be raised for safety reasons.
A day indoors in soggy Uxbridge it is then!

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net