Current Page: 1 of 5
Dawid Malan moving to Yorkshire
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2019 08:02

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Although Jonathan has already mentioned this on the 'Should they stay or go' thread (and I replied on there) I think this is big enough to have a thread of its own.

He is under contract with us until the end of 2021. I'm not going to accuse Yorkshire of making an illegal approach, but it's not difficult to see how this has happened.

England captain Joe Root is bound to have Dawid Malan's phone number and email address and I expect Dawid has wanted to know what his chances of playing international cricket again are. 'Well, it would help if you were playing in Division one......'

Edited to remove question mark in thread title, as the deed is now done.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 22/11/2019 13:45 by BarmierKev.

Re: Dawid Malan moving to Yorkshire?
Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2019 08:19

I had refrained from posting about it but someone on the Surrey board did post a week or so ago on similar lines - losing captaincy and moving on - but destination the south side of the river (the historic county of his birth). I thought it might be wind-up as it mirrors the Ramps situation but who knows?

If you judge by results, his captaincy has not delivered but our problems seem a lot deeper than that and some of the dodgy decisions are surely joint with the coach in any case. Captain as a lightning rod?

Adelaide

Date: 22 September, 2019 08:22

I can think of one Yorkshire fan who used to delight in listing where every player was born will be delighted if this comes to pass.

Posted by: MB (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2019 08:39

I d be very disappointed to lose him, but could hardly blame him. Middlesex have just drifted into mediocrity these last 3 seasons and there is little sign under the current regime of anything changing to address that

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2019 09:00

Have just posted on Grockles about this. Yorkshire have previous in this respect this season - Andrew Gale saying publicly he'd like Dom Bess to sign for Yorkshire. If Middlesex are considering parting ways with Dawid then I don't think its a bad thing he should be investigating his options (and I admit, I'd love him to consider an apple-flavours option). But if not - and there hasn't been a fall-out with the management - then it's a poor show by the white rose.

I fear it's only a matter if time before transfers with fees like in football comes in to cricket at which point it will become a free for all, with a small number of rich counties hoovering up players from the rest. The main beneficiaries will be a few players, the agents, and probably the ECB who will be a step closer to their eight-team cricket nirvana.

Posted by: Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2019 09:19

Quote:
chunkyinargyll
I can think of one Yorkshire fan who used to delight in listing where every player was born will be delighted if this comes to pass.

Is he still around? Or did he spontaneously combust last season when they fielded an XI with just four players born in the four counties?

Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2019 09:51

Looking at Yorkshire's form and batting, on a par with ours. Relegation next year on the cards. Two down. Play four once. So may not be a great destination. Also Warwickshire mentioned. Serial cherry pickers under the King of Spain. How Porkies beat Somerset an unsolved mystery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2019 09:57 by Seaxe_man1.

Date: 22 September, 2019 10:12

I know Dawid is unhappy with the pitches at Lord's. He's mentioned it on several of his end of day interviews.

But his deal doesn't expire until the end of 2021.

If it was me I'd tell him he couldn't go now, but I'd put it in writing for him he could leave at the end of 2020 if we don't get promotion.

Posted by: Bring back the Crusaders (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2019 10:52

There is more chance of us leaving Europe than there is of us gaining promotion next season!

Posted by: freddie tittlemouse (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2019 10:56

Under Malan's captaincy our performances have been very poor (not necessarily totally down to him)and I cannot see him being appointed next season, although there are hardly any viable replacements unless we import a big name.
He knows that there is no chance of being selected for England while he is playing in the 2nd Division. If he is still ambitious then next season is his last chance.
Taking these factors into consideration I would say the Yorkshire move is very much on the cards. No point in forcing an unhappy player to keep to his contract.

Date: 22 September, 2019 12:15

David Malan is a metropolitan man. Difficult to see him elsewhere. Apart from the below average Lords pitches he commented about outgrounds. Ironic as our single win was at MTS on a decent pitch whilst there was too much rain at Radlett where we were unbeaten

Posted by: freddie tittlemouse (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2019 12:21

Quote:
Seaxe_man1
David Malan is a metropolitan man. Difficult to see him elsewhere. Apart from the below average Lords pitches he commented about outgrounds. Ironic as our single win was at MTS on a decent pitch whilst there was too much rain at Radlett where we were unbeaten
What on earth is a metropolitan man? Leeds and Sheffield are highly metropolitan. It's not all whippet racing you know.

Date: 22 September, 2019 19:10

Not used to living outside London imho.

Date: 22 September, 2019 19:15

These so called moves to better things are a double edged weapon . A current example Ben Duckett. Moved to Notts for first division cricket. Now back in second with a club displaying some of our symptoms.

Date: 22 September, 2019 19:59

Quote:
Bring back the Crusaders
There is more chance of us leaving Europe than there is of us gaining promotion next season!
True. At Euston last week saw a Govt advert referring to a website providing all post brexit info that may be required. Some are already doing so. This leaves Bercow and co looking like our promotion prospects for next year.

Date: 23 September, 2019 09:59

Commentators seem to think there is something in this, as apparently it has come from a journalist with strong Yorkshire connections, Richard Gibson.

Posted by: Defcon1 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2019 11:30

Would be a good move for both Yorkshire and Malan in my view. Malan could do with a change of scenery and as a club we appear to be going nowhere fast.

Date: 23 September, 2019 14:11

Dawid Malan in England T20 squad (but not test squad) for New Zealand.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: Bring back the Crusaders (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2019 22:41

If he is under contract until the end of the 2021 season then we should keep him until his contract expires rather than let him desert the sinking ship
If his form dipped to that of Gubbins or Eskenazi and he was not selected for the first team squad he would not expect us to rip up his contract without a pay off
Unless we make a stand cricket will end up going down the same road as cricket or rugby!

Date: 24 September, 2019 05:27

It might be that he has a clause in his contract saying he can leave if we are in Division 2.

We might have had to agree to that to get him to sign his current contract in the first place.

Current Page: 1 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net