A Possibly Interesting Read about J.T. Murray
Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2019 11:57

A link to a review of "Keeper Of Style" is provided here.

[www.cricketweb.net]

Not sure if the story is included in here or not, as I haven't read the book, but for what it's worth :

JT was awarded a Benefit - it must have been in 1975 or so, I am guessing, and so could nominate a match where he got the take on the gate.

JT chose the match against the touring Australians under Ian Chappell.

Apparently, it was an unwritten law that the beneficiary was allowed the courtesy of being allowed to get off the mark, and avoid the indignity of recording a duck in his Benefit match.

JT comes out to bat, takes guard, and Ian Chappell turns to the bowler, gives him a significant look, and say's "Let him have one".

"Ah, Rightho, Skipper", says Jeff thomson, who goes back to his mark, roars in and lets rip a 90 mph thunderbolt bouncer that narrowly misses decapitating a "propping forward in expectation of receiving an easy starter" JT.

Re: A Possibly Interesting Read about J.T. Murray
Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 21:18

Sounds uncannily like that murder conviction years ago which rested upon the intended meaning of the phrase "let him have it". I don't think that J T was involved in that!

Re: A Possibly Interesting Read about J.T. Murray
Posted by: Mr. Trellis. (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2019 17:51

Possibly the match in which Roland Butcher dismissed Ian Chappell lbw for a duck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net