Bob Willis RIP
Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2019 16:55

Yet more sad news. Bob Willis may not have been everyone's cup of tea as a commentator but he was one heck of a bowler.

His Headingley spell is the one that will stick out for most. In those days, people at work could not hide a latest score window on their PC or phone and too many calls to the phone line that gave out the score could land you in trouble! I took an early lunch that day to confirm the last knockings of Australia's victory in a bar which had a TV. Then suddenly a wicket went down, then another and I was captivated for a very long lunch hour. Got back to the office and casually said "I see the test is over". My boss said "How many wickets did they win by?" "They didn't!" I replied. He was a true cricket fan (Lancashire) and if he had had a bone to pick about my long lunch, he didn't have one after that.

Robert George Dylan - start marking out your run up there.

Adelaide

Re: Bob Willis RIP
Posted by: Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2019 17:05

Very sad news and a nice tribute, Adelaide. I remember his 'curtain rail' batting too!

I once saw him on the bus from Victoria to Lord's and he was happy to chat to everyone. RIP

Posted by: Bobstan (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2019 17:44

Saw him a couple of times at 'classical' concerts at the Festival Hall. He loved Brahms and Dylan apparently. Not a bad combination.

Posted by: freddie tittlemouse (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2019 17:47

They call it the Botham miracle, but it was just as much the Willis miracle.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2019 19:10

This is very sad news.

Bob Willis possessed great knowledge of cricket and was a big part of Sky’s cricket coverage ever since they began covering the sport.

I am not sure why he was moved out of the commentary box and into the studio around the mid-00’s, but it at least enabled him to forge a regular role in Sky’s post-match analysis of each day’s play of England Test matches.

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2019 20:38

Very sad news about Bob Willis,I remember the test with Botham.
Watched the end of game on Uxbridge High Street with many others looking through a television rentals shop window! (Was the only time I was unemployed!)

I must admit,he did,at times get me going with his commentary on games,but,he played the game and he knew best.
RIP Bob and..Well,Charles.

Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2019 10:21

RIP Bob. You always said what you thought.

Can remember when Bob played for Surrey in the late 60'early 70's, frustrating MX in a Gillette Cup match.

Back then, we were pretty good at one day cricket.

Also fortunate to watch his never to be forgotten 8 for 43.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net