Travel hints and tips for season 2020
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 08 December, 2019 16:35

It's always good to start this thread up again.
Few months before season starts but,looked at hotels for couple of County games....
Cardiff travelodge for Glamorgan Ciunty game has 3 nights for £132 at the moment...booked.
Nottinghamshire away,in late August,premier inn has 3 nights for £102,also booked.
Prices really good at the moment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 25/03/2020 17:29 by London Leprechaun.

Re: Travel hints and tips for season 2020
Date: 26 December, 2019 15:57

Another hotel booked,couldnt turn down the price.
Notts away at end of August and found Premier Inn at Nottingham City Centre for £102,for 3 nights.
A walk,or tram part of the way to ground,but good price.

Date: 27 December, 2019 09:53

Looking at advanced track closures whilst at work.today.
All I can find,upto 21st June is 31st May,Gloucestershire at Lords in T20 there is no Met line from Harrow-on-the-hill to Aldgate and no Jubilee line from West Hampstead to Stanmore.
At the moment,cant see any other Underground closures planned upto the June date above.

Date: 06 January, 2020 14:31

The first away trip,Glamorgan on April 19th.
Train tickets will be on sale via GWR website from approx Jan 19th.
It's a Sunday start,so be aware might be track works with train diversions.My brother is a manager on GWR and I'm waiting for him to let me know if there are works,will inform once he finds out.
Always check for 2 singles,usually work out cheaper than return.

Date: 26 January, 2020 12:00

For Cardiff,tickets still not available.
But...be aware there are track closures for the outward train on April 19th,travel time increased by approx 50 mins as trains on diversion.
1st train out is 0833 dep from Paddington,means missing probably first half hour of play.
Still keeping check on tickets,as according to GWR website,available 12 weeks before travel.
Update Feb 2nd....
Tickets are now available for Cardiff,approx £50 for two singles,with the first train arriving at 1123 at Cardiff,and is a 4 hr journey due to track works.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2020 14:53 by BeefyRoberts.

Date: 04 February, 2020 09:58

Going to Durham away?
Best to stay in,or near Chester-le-street,as trains from Durham are infrequent,but buses do run,an Express route works.
But,staying near ground location,not many places,a small travelodge or the wonderful Lambton Worm pub with hotel accommodation,about 20 min walk to ground,or a bus stops outside pub.Free parking,internet and a big breakfast as well! (I'm not the owner!)
Trains? Depart Kings Cross,but to be honest not looked as taking the drive there a day early.

Posted by: Rocks&Boulders (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 14:11

Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Going to Durham away?
Best to stay in,or near Chester-le-street,as trains from Durham are infrequent,but buses do run,an Express route works.
But,staying near ground location,not many places,a small travelodge or the wonderful Lambton Worm pub with hotel accommodation,about 20 min walk to ground,or a bus stops outside pub.Free parking,internet and a big breakfast as well! (I'm not the owner!)
Trains? Depart Kings Cross,but to be honest not looked as taking the drive there a day early.

Been thinking about this one for a few weeks now, hoping to attend.
Would stay in Newcastle, train only takes 10 mins to Chester-le-Street from there.
Spurs away at Newcastle that weekend so would attend that and do the other three days at the cricket.

Posted by: Chesham Steve (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 19:22

Mentioned to Mrs Chesham Steve, that I was thinking of having a few nights in Co Durham. I think she was ok about it. Can't do Worcester or Cardiff this year.

Date: 20 February, 2020 16:29

Parking tip...We have found a website called JustPark (probably been going for years!).
This enables you to park on someone's own driveway and works out cheaper than using NCP car parks.
Example.. using a private driveway in Cardiff,10 min walk from ground.Parking for 3 nights,secure as well,cost £20.NCP is average of £45 for same,and not as secure.
Just an idea if driving to games.

Posted by: rod/ed (IP Logged)
Date: 05 March, 2020 12:26

Collapse of FlyBe has scuppered my flight to Cardiff for CC in April

Posted by: rod/ed (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 10:13

Since I paid for the FlyBe flight by PayPal I have been refunded in full. Good news on day 3 of my 14 isolation.

Posted by: Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 16:47

My latest tip is not to renew your senior rail card if, like mine, it runs out in June.

Date: 02 April, 2020 07:59

Obviously with these troubled times, and games being called off, a good few of us have hotels booked for away games.
With Travelodge, if booked a standard room, you can get a full refund. But, if it's a 'saver booking' they only offer a voucher to re-use. Looking at it, voucher is valid until Dec 2021, so, can be used for next season. Have to cancel booking yourself, and, might be a wait for reply. I think voucher comes as email and needs to be printed off as it comes with a booking reference.
Premier Inn look like doing a complete cash refund.
Cancelled Durham away, booked via Hotels.com but still waiting for the refund, they say could take upto 30 days, overwhelmed with people doing same I presume.
Stay safe everyone

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net