Be Kind
Posted by: London Leprechaun (IP Logged)
Date: 16 March, 2020 21:48

Be kind.
Many of us, and probably soon, most of us are going to be spending a lot more time at home over the next few weeks.  We are probably going to be frustrated by the lock down and we won’t have much live sport to watch or talk about.
For many of us online forums like this will be a great distraction – to talk about all sorts of things as well as our favourite sports.  But they can also get divisive and unpleasant and needlessly personal.
So, this is a plea from your moderators on this board.  Use it to discuss cricket, Middlesex and, if you want, anything else.  We will start a separate thread for that.  But please be kind to each other, disagree politely, don’t get personal and don’t overwhelm the forum.  We all need a bit of kindness at the moment!
We will not hesitate to delete posts and threads if they threaten the well being of other posters.
Thank you in advance for taking this on board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/03/2020 20:28 by London Leprechaun.

Re: Be Kind
Posted by: dingy bags (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2020 09:52

Well said

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2020 11:20

As my boss once said to me after coming back from a management meeting, "we've all been told to be kind. Except to you, you b****!"

Adelaide

Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2020 15:34

I've tried smiling at strangers. However, this has not always been received as a kind gesture.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Posted by: freddie tittlemouse (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2020 16:24

Quote:
BarmierKev
I've tried smiling at strangers. However, this has not always been received as a kind gesture.
Anywhere south of Milton Keynes if you smile at people they either think you're barking mad or you're trying to pick them up. The North (and the Midlands) is another country

Posted by: Bobstan (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 08:54

My wife's cousin who lives in Walthamstow can't believe when she visits us in St Albans how many folk smile and say 'good morning' or whatever.

We are well south of Milton Keynes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/03/2020 08:55 by Bobstan.

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 11:38

Be Kind...
Yesterday 84 yr old mother at Iceland Uxbridge.
She was early so waited for it to open,more people turned up.
Shutters go up,a stampede for food.
Mother pushed and jostled by these so called people nearly knocking her to the ground.
Animals behave better in a zoo when its feeding time.
Today,she was bit shaken,but after sitting for few hours is ok now.
Come on folks,show a bit of decency when at shops,plenty for everyone.

Posted by: London Leprechaun (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 20:47

Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Be Kind...
Yesterday 84 yr old mother at Iceland Uxbridge.
She was early so waited for it to open,more people turned up.
Shutters go up,a stampede for food.
Mother pushed and jostled by these so called people nearly knocking her to the ground.
Animals behave better in a zoo when its feeding time.
Today,she was bit shaken,but after sitting for few hours is ok now.
Come on folks,show a bit of decency when at shops,plenty for everyone.

Hope your mum can now take advantage of the exclusive early shopping for older people. Are there community support networks round there that could shop for her? We've just set one up in our cluster of roads.

Posted by: Bobstan (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 10:15

Enormous queues for Ancient folk's shopping at Sainsbury's this morning. The person we know who went turned round and went home.

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 10:19

Dear All,
I am a one sport person in the main; I find it hard to genuinely engage with the sport whose season has just started when my energies remain focused on the “incumbent”. Hence why I tend not to engage much here during the rugby season, and similarly cannot wholeheartedly engage with rugby, until, to quote Beefy, our survival in Division II of the CC is assured once again.
However, we live in interesting times.

Today, I may well commence the 4 DVD set of our 2016 tussle with Yorkshire as a way of passing the time. – Could do worse.

On Sunday, I went to the Half Moon, Putney, to see Hank Wangford, the doyen of British alt – country. Hank was a hospital registrar in a former life. He told us that his one aim during his final Friday tour of the Proctology ward was to get people laughing, even those sitting on rubber rings. He said that he noticed the change in mood when he came back in on Monday, and with that in mind, had debated with the band if the show should proceed. They all said “Hell, yeah.....”, and so there we were.

In similar fashion, and, in case of interest, may I recommend this week’s issue of Private Eye, for a surprising reason, in addition to the unre(f)usable offer on the front cover.

A contributor on the travails of the NHS and general delivery of our healthcare goes under the soubriquet of “M.D.”, and normally doesn’t pull his punches.

However, this week, his column is further up the magazine and I hope you will not mind my quoting his final paragraph directly:

“Laughter is the best medicine – unless of course, you have (moderated reference to a disease), in which case it’s penicillin. There are no effective drugs yet for Covid – 19, and the best ways to boost your immune system are not the nonsense new age supplements doing the rounds (there’s a $200 magic yoghurt pill you can .............insert), but laughter and ***. (moderated ref to a social activity).

The second drug my GP surgery ran out of (after paracetemol) was V**gr*. The best (moderated exercise suggestion) for reduced transmission and improved lung function is the (moderated) . Just don’t go past your Mum’s house.

Enjoy your isolation. Look out for others. Try not to fall down the stairs. Don’t get caught in a bog roll scrum (it’s the ideal breeding ground for viruses). And remember, it’s the simple pleasures, not the big scares, that give purpose and meaning to life.

Coronavirus may yet to teach us to behave in a kinder gentler, less consumptive way”

Right, it’s going to be Sidebottom from the Pavillion end.

Posted by: Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 16:44

Get a dog. Not only are you allowed to walk it, everybody says hello. Not necessarily to you, but always to the dog.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net