MCCC AGM...
Posted by: Surbiton crusader2 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2020 12:39

... has been cancelled

SC2

Re: MCCC AGM...
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 06 April, 2020 20:07

Tomorrow is the day when the AGM was scheduled to take place. The announcement on Middlesex’s official website about the postponement says “Technically, in order to comply with the Club rules, the Chairman [Mike O’Farrell] will open and then immediately adjourn the meeting on that day, with no business being transacted”. This makes the mind boggle, as I wonder if O’Farrell will go to an empty Thomas Lord Suite, say “welcome to the AGM. Meeting adjourned”, and then go home. I would love to see this happen, but I doubt that many people other than groundsman Karl McDermott (who I think lives on site) are presently allowed into Lord’s.

As I think that it is a legal requirement (although the law could well change to accommodate the current pandemic) for businesses to hold an AGM each year (hence why the ‘A’ stands for ‘annual’), I would have thought that Middlesex will try to stage the AGM at some point when the restrictions on public gatherings are lifted, even in the worst-case scenario of the restrictions not being lifted until it is too late in the year to play cricket, and even if this means that the time between the 2020 AGM and the 2021 AGM is something like just six months.

When the 2020 AGM eventually takes place, one of the topics for discussion is certain to be the financial effects of this pandemic. Indeed, this subject could well pop up at future AGMs, as it might take years for the finances of Middlesex, ECB and governments worldwide to recover.

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 06 April, 2020 21:00

Question for AGM, after the usual acceptance of new rules and regulations.
With no games being held at the moment,and paid in advance, will the club offer a refund, or reduction for season 2021?
Myself, I would say, please dont give me a refund, keep my membership as a small donation to the club. Maybe some others would follow?

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 07 April, 2020 16:55

Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Question for AGM, after the usual acceptance of new rules and regulations.
With no games being held at the moment,and paid in advance, will the club offer a refund, or reduction for season 2021?
Myself, I would say, please dont give me a refund, keep my membership as a small donation to the club. Maybe some others would follow?

If its the difference to keeping the club running, they can keep the membership fee. Similar happened during WWII, clubs and members still took fees as normal despite the lack of cricket.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 07 April, 2020 17:45

I'm wondering whether not owning the ground works in our favour for once as we don't get the various sources of income associated with that (catering, conferences...) so can't lose it. I suppose it depends on how the deal with MCC would work in the absence of any cricket at Lord's.

Then I slap myself and remember that there are far more important things to worry about right now than MCCC finances.

Adelaide

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net