Middlesex CCC launch ‘online chat room’
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2020 23:35

As they hinted they would in an email which people on their mailing list received last Thursday, Middlesex CCC today launched what they term as an ‘online chat room’ which they have named “Middlesex Room”.

When I first heard about this, my fear was that it would replicate the purpose of MTWD and reduce the likelihood of people wishing to view and/or post on MTWD. As I expected, it turns out that the site is a messageboard, and one that appears to have attracted many more posts today than MTWD. The article on the official website announcing the launch of Middlesex Room says that it is only for members of the club, but I am not sure whether it is possible to prevent non-members or even supporters of other counties from accessing the site, as the site is hosted by ProBoards and not by the club, and I was able to obtain a login without being asked to confirm whether I am a member, and I was able to view content before I had logged in. Admittedly, the link to the site can currently only be found by accessing this thread or the members’ hub of the official website (which, as the name suggests, is something only members can access), as it currently doesn’t appear when typing the site’s URL or Middlesex Room into Google, although if the site does start appearing on Google, then I would be worried for the future of MTWD, especially if people who are not members are able to post. I concede that my creation of this thread isn’t going to help my hopes of the link to Middlesex Room being obscured! One piece of good news is that MTWD currently appears 1st, 2nd and 4th in Google searches for Middlesex Room.

I am undecided about whether or not I will post on Middlesex Room, as I find it difficult to not see it as being to MTWD what The Hundred is to county cricket. As I have said, not only does it have a similarity with MTWD in terms of purpose, but it has another similarity in using the term “Middlesex Room”, as the top of pages on MTWD say “WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC”. Despite my thoughts, if it seems that there is more sense in posting on Middlesex Room instead of MTWD, then I may have to consider doing so. However, the idea of posting on a site administered by the club makes me feel less comfortable than posting on an independent site such as MTWD, as I would not like to be in a position whereby I have a real or perceived threat of being disciplined for writing or speculating on an issue in a way that the club disapproves of.

It would be sad if the creation of Middlesex Room spells the end for MTWD, but there are greater tragedies going on in the world at present.

Re: Middlesex CCC launch ‘online chat room’
Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2020 23:58

Under the circumstances, I feel it is a good initiative by the club to have this chatroom in these difficult times. The only difference between the two Middlesex Rooms is our dress code is different.

MTWD will continue. Feel free to use your opinions on what forum you most comfortable with.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2020 09:44

Think I will be staying on here.
Have looked, wouldnt accept password 3 or 4 times, so, you got stuck with me here (as if I would move off!!) 🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

Date: 22 April, 2020 10:11

This was my error message when trying to register.

ProBoards - Free Forums & Free Message Boards

We're really sorry about this, but due to an angry bear server issues we could not load this page. Our technicians are aware of this problem and hope to have the Err Bear under control this situation sorted shortly!

Seems like I'm Middlesex Till We Die till I die

Barmy Kev

Posted by: freddie tittlemouse (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2020 12:24

Having jumped through several hoops to register including one of those awful Captcha anti robot identify all pictures containing traffic lights tests I don't think I'll bother. It lacks the wit and wisdom and eccentricity of mtwd.
Could put a post on there telling people to join this board instead. I wonder how long that would stay up there.

Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2020 10:31

The usual didn't like password. So in the end didn't bother.

Date: 25 April, 2020 11:12

Just visited the extension, doesn't appear to be much activity on it as yet.
19 hrs ago, the last posting.
Have tried once more to log on, without any luck, keeps kicking me out with wrong password.
Trying the remember password link now,don't that,success.
Now,I am logged on to the club chatroom,but,no I'm not!
I'm in the...From The Sea End forum for Sussex!
Hold on....I'm.in our one now!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/04/2020 11:16 by BeefyRoberts.

Date: 29 April, 2020 20:51

Logged into the club chatroom, and posted first one.
Easy enough to follow once on there.

Date: 29 April, 2020 21:42

For those not aware there is a Middlesex Cricket online forum at 11.00 am tomorrow. i can't attend. Any feedback or a match report would be appreciated.

Barmy Kev

Posted by: dingy bags (IP Logged)
Date: 30 April, 2020 09:41

Kev this has been recorded. It is available from 11.00 today on the official website, Members' Area. It's not happening live. I will be happy to comment on it later.

All we can do is read, listen and talk about cricket at the moment...Stay safe all.

Date: 30 April, 2020 12:09

So, had a watch/listen. I found it quite detailed and honest but, clearly, so much is up in the air at the moment. It is heartening, for me, that there is certainly a wish to get some red ball cricket in, if at all possible. The championship itself cannot happen, but a few games against local counties could be arranged, around the Blast.

Worth a watch and I also think it is important to recognise that this is on the members' area, not for wider consumption. This is from the club, to its members.

Date: 30 April, 2020 12:25

Agree with you fully on that Andy.
Was good to see, and hear familiar cricket voices at long last.
All questions were answered, and, like yourself was pleased to hear the possibility of some red ball cricket, but, all depends on how this is run with the virus.
Stay safe all 🏏🏏🍻🍻

Date: 30 April, 2020 14:14

Slightly encouraged that there is some chance of red ball cricket.

Barmy Kev

Date: 30 April, 2020 21:16

If there is time for a first-class competition to be fitted in, I would strongly support the idea of dividing the counties into groups of around six regional teams, with perhaps a trophy (although I am not sure about prize money) being at stake, but without any possibility of anyone being promoted, relegated or crowned as County Championship winners. This would satisfy the desire of England’s management for players to prepare for Test cricket and would negate the possibility of players who tend to play little or no part in their county’s limited-overs sides not playing any cricket this season. If there is a scenario whereby there is a window for some domestic cricket to be played, this window is entirely filled with limited-overs cricket, and England proceed to have a poor 12 months in Test cricket, then a lot of criticism would surely come ECB’s way.

Whether arranging a first-class competition would satisfy the desire of supporters to see what, in the case of many supporters, is their favourite format will of course depend on whether spectators are allowed into matches. Unfortunately, I can’t really say that I feel optimistic that spectators may be permitted to attend much or any cricket in any format in 2020. Today, ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said “I think people are understanding that behind closed doors is our only option this year. The thought of crowds this summer is not something that is realistic in the context of the public health crisis”. It is the case at many headquarter venues that spectators could conceivably attend County Championship matches while maintaining social distancing (doing this would be easier compared to trying to maintain social distancing on the Underground, as I make effort to do when I travel to and from work), but this would nonetheless mean that public health would be risked due to the fact that people would be tempted out of their house, and I can’t say that I support the idea of this risk being taken. I would personally prefer social distancing measures to continue to be enforced until coronavirus is largely (although in the absence of any vaccine for the time being, I am not sure how realistic it is to be fully) suppressed, even though I concede that this would delay the time when I can get back to my routine of attending sport. When a team has their opponent six wickets down, the last thing I would recommend would be for the bowlers to think to themselves that they can afford to ease up and risk a second wave of runs from the tail.

If spectators are not allowed into any cricket in 2020, then I am unsure where that would leave the T20 Blast. I suppose that ECB would be keen for it to still be played even if it has to happen behind closed doors, as although this scenario would see the competition generate little revenue for counties, it would negate the possibility of Sky demanding a refund on the basic that ECB have not fulfilled an obligation to stage this competition (although I am not sure if such an obligation exists), and it would prepare players for forthcoming T20 World Cups.

I felt that this online forum worked quite well, as it gave access to more members (or indeed non-members who had the link which I will not share) than any in-person forum possibly could, and it enabled viewers to pause or rewind if required. Mike O’Farrell suggested that forums like this could be repeated, which is something I would like. He also suggested that it is felt that it is better to have Q&A events in the Middlesex Room in the Allen stand at intervals of matches rather than forums before or after a day’s play, although I am not so keen on these Q&A events, as they are usually held on weekday afternoons, and I am reluctant to go into the Middlesex Room.

I am not sure if there is much else that I am allowed to write.

Date: 04 May, 2020 12:12

On the members part of website, the club have got a new on line players chat called 'Dressing Room Reunion'
This one features Tufnell,Haynes,Gatting,Roseberry,Brown,Emburey,Ramprakash,Hughes and Fraser.
Will take a look later, but should be a good watch, on for approx 45 minutes.

Date: 04 May, 2020 16:36

It was a good watch. The club are doing what they can to keep members involved in these difficult times

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 05 May, 2020 12:40

Quote:
BeefyRoberts
On the members part of website, the club have got a new on line players chat called 'Dressing Room Reunion'
This one features Tufnell,Haynes,Gatting,Roseberry,Brown,Emburey,Ramprakash,Hughes and Fraser.
Will take a look later, but should be a good watch, on for approx 45 minutes.

Was that recorded reasonably recently?

Posted by: boltfromtheblue (IP Logged)
Date: 05 May, 2020 13:08

Enjoyable watching players from my favourite era.Gatt said every player was a potential match winner

Date: 02 June, 2020 23:20

I have watched all of the Dressing Room Reunion videos, and I enjoyed watching them, especially the 1995-2005 and 2005-present videos considering the players were from the time I have followed Middlesex, with Ben Scott featuring in the latter. Another participant in the latter video was Chris Rogers, who must have found it bittersweet discussing our 2016 County Championship triumph, as although he played a part in the years building up to that moment, he spent the 2016 season hoping that his Somerset side would deny us the title! It was sad though that Shaun Udal didn’t feel well enough to take up his invitation to feature on the video.

I was worried that the launch of what I see as a rival messageboard to MTWD would result in Middlesex Room seeing lots of activity to leave MTWD trailing in its wake. Therefore, I can’t deny that I feel satisfied that a look at Middlesex Room suggests that this hasn't happened, as no posts have been made since 19th May!

Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 June, 2020 10:04

The fate of the Wilf Slack Memorial Ground and his Young Cricketers Development Trust look like a good discussion point.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net