Edgbaston 05
Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 06 May, 2020 13:40

So, with the BBC and Sky due to replay the Edgbaston test of 05 from Thursday morning. Whats everyone's memories of those 4 days?

I seem to remember being at Lord's for a couple of days during the test. Weeksy got runs, Ace got another hundred....really feels like this year and maybe a couple around this were his peak now. Unfortunately, we lost the game due to a big Warks chase. Spent the Sunday morning avidly watching the test....what a climax!

Re: Edgbaston 05
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 06 May, 2020 15:49

I was at both Saturday and Sunday of the test.
Staying overnight in a bnb somewhere!
Going around the city having a beer and we were saying, wont be long to finish, and I said..yep, means i can get home to watch Leeds vs Millwall on sky! As I was driving, obviously a dry Sunday at the test.
The Sunday, unreal.
Even more so, as when tickets for Saturday turned up, and friend I went with forgot he ordered Sunday tickets until they landed on his doormat!
Inside the ground, it was just a typical start of day, but, as play progressed, nobody had a clue!
I remember keep looking to my left at scoreboard and in front were a lot of the Aussie tour parties and they were counting down the runs.
There was a PA announcement that the bars were open...I remember nobody moved! Nobody went for a beer!
Watching the runs tick down, everyone saying we have blown it.
Into single figures, it was all over! We had lost the test!
When the miracle happened, for a split second the ground went silent, then eruptions for I dont know how long.
After we finally left, we both walked to the bnb and my mate ( Kev, and few others will know him from this comment!) Was desperate for a beer to celebrate, I said no, I am driving home. I only want 1, no, as I know him..1 brings 2!!
We got in car, as I'm not even out of Birmingham, he was fast asleep in the car, and I just put my foot down!
Drinks back in Uxbridge, and I still dont know if Leeds beat Millwall, but do know we won one amazing test match!
That year, I went to at least one day of each of the Ashes tour.

Re: Edgbaston 05
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 06 May, 2020 19:48

As I attended all four days of the aforementioned Middlesex v Warwickshire match at Lord’s, which started a day before the Edgbaston Ashes Test, I think that the only day’s play of the Test which I was able to watch or even follow was the exciting climax on day four, which I viewed from behind my sofa! Despite that, I have a couple of memories of the match. One memory was that I remember the fact that Tests in those days began at 10:30am to not interfere with Hollyoaks on Channel 4 enabled me to hear the news about Glenn McGrath’s injury after he stepped on a ball in the warm-up before I had set off for Lord’s. Another memory was that I attended my grandmother’s stonesetting at Bushey in the afternoon of day four, so at least the match finished in time for that.

After England had lost the opening Test of the Ashes at Lord’s by 239 runs, it was just as well that they won at Edgbaston, otherwise the series would have probably resulted in Australia winning 4-0, 4-1 or 5-0, and in England fielding close to 20 players across the series, which is what tends to happen in Ashes series when England lose the first two Tests. Instead, England went on to win the series 2-1 and made just one team change across the series.

To mark coverage of this match being broadcast, the Guardian’s Rob Smyth yesterday produced an article about this match.

Whereas it was a great weekend for England, the same can’t be said for Middlesex, as I am not sure how we lost v Warwickshire after we posted 323 (Makhaya Ntini took a wicket with his first ball for Warwickshire) and 330 (albeit a collapse from 281-3), achieved a first innings lead of 51 and set a target of 382 (which Warwickshire managed to achieve for a three wicket win despite being 6-2 and later requiring 103 when the sixth wicket fell), while the Sunday saw us lose by 4 runs in a totesport League match v Essex at Garon Park. And to run salt into the wounds, we lost 0.5 points for a slow over rate v Warwickshire.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net