Some hope for cricket
Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 10:56

On my walk yesterday covering Stanmore Country Park I found myself by accident at Stanmore Cricket Club. I believe this is where it all started for Gus.

A groundsman was working hard at mowing the wicket. A player was seen having a net from a safe distance.

This gives me some hope of cricket this year. Currently, this feels preferable to anything going on for Middlesex CCC.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Re: Some hope for cricket
Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 12:08

And also the scene of a Denis Compton benefit match back around 1948 when blokes like Harry Sharp were playing. There was a very good crowd.

Posted by: Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 14:57

I went to Stanmore CC just once, to see an International Cavaliers match, before the days of the Sunday League. I did play against their 4th XI a few times though!

As regards pitches, the club I am involved in here in deepest Sussex has had our (volunteer) groundsman working hard throughout lockdown. It is looking fantastic and he is delighted as there are no damn cricketers playing on it and spoiling it!

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 20:09

There is a lot of hope that some international men’s cricket will take place in England and/or Wales in 2020. Whether there will be any domestic men’s cricket and/or any women’s cricket, and whether there is any possibility that spectators will have an opportunity to attend cricket of any sort in 2020 is something of which I hold less hope.

Northamptonshire hope to be able to stage Twenty20 matches in front of a capacity of 1,500 at their Wantage Road ground whose capacity is usually 6,500, while Surrey hope to be able to stage matches in front of a capacity of 6,000 members at their Oval ground whose capacity is usually 25,000.

As attending sport plays a big part in my life, while watching sport on TV or following sport through live scores, video streams or radio commentaries is enjoyable to a lesser extent, it goes without saying that I would love it were the UK Government to allow sport to take place with spectators. However, for as long as coronavirus remains a threat, I am unwilling for the time being to demand that spectators be allowed to attend sport. About 10% of me would like sport to take place behind closed doors in order to get seasons moving and to ensure that clubs and boards don’t need to give broadcasters rebates, while about 90% of me can’t bear the thought of sport taking place without spectators allowed to attend, and while the threat of coronavirus remains present.

I can’t help thinking that the return of spectators to sports grounds will be amongst the last aspects of life to get back to normal considering that the government have not given a date for when this might happen, whereas they have given a date for many other things. I think it will be an emotional day when spectators are finally allowed to attend matches, and I can see the significance of such a day being recognised by people who are not even interested in sport.

Whereas Northants and Surrey are hopeful of being able to welcome spectators before the 2020 season is over, I am not sure whether there is much optimism elsewhere that spectators will be able to attend matches as soon, as I know that some football clubs fear that they will have to play most or all of the 2020/21 season behind closed doors.

Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2020 21:05

The West Indies have provisionally agreed to tour. Planned departure Jun 8th.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net