Current Page: 1 of 2
Surrey T20 5/9/20
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2020 13:58

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Same squad as before minus Nick Gubbins.

No reason given (like illness or injury) for his omission.

Maybe we have one eye on the fact that this game will finish at about 9.30 pm, followed by a trip to Chelmsford for a 10.30 start in the BWT the next day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2020 15:45 by BarmierKev.

Re: Surrey T20 5/9/20
Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2020 14:01

Opportunity to rotate the batting wouldn't you say chunky.

Date: 04 September, 2020 14:04

Three of squad yet to play from a quick perusal.

Date: 04 September, 2020 14:16

There's no batting left to rotate.

I guess Joe Cracknell stands a chance of making his debut, but him, Andersson and Lincoln in the top 6 makes us weaker than we needed to be if Gubbins was available.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2020 16:23

I'd expect a slow wicket taking some turn tomorrow, with Surrey using at least three spinners (Batty, Moriarty and Jacks). We have two, or two and a bit if you count Max Holden.

Our batting looked thin enough in T20 terms even with Gubbins and I think they have done well to post competitive scores in all the matches. I know Max has our best List A score but I was not expecting he and Eski to be the star batsmen!

Adelaide

Posted by: VincentVanDerVictory (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2020 18:03

I believe Nick Gubbins has only two T20 fifties in his career.
Perhaps he should just stick to red ball cricket ..time to give others such as Joe Cracknell some games.

Date: 04 September, 2020 18:21

Joe Cracknell is a wk/batsman chunky. And a pretty good one that I watched against non league Berkshire. Certainly can slot in with the bat. Good field as well. Gotta start somewhere.

Date: 04 September, 2020 18:26

Would not be surprised if Blake Cullen replaces Cummins.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2020 20:09

As this match will be the latest scheduled start time of Middlesex’s matches this season and will be followed in the subsequent days by a match at Chelmsford (which is 30 miles from The Oval) with the earliest scheduled start time, I had wondered whether we would rest a few players for this match. Therefore, I am not surprised that we appear to have done this with Nick Gubbins, although the fact that our squad contains several players who have at least a chance (or, in some cases, a certainty barring unforeseen circumstances) of playing v Essex at Chelmsford on Sunday means that our line-up on Sunday will contain a few players who had spent the previous evening either playing or carrying drinks at The Oval. When I first realised this, I thought to myself that the requirement to play a Twenty20 match on a Saturday and start a Bob Willis Trophy match the day after would be the same for all 18 counties, although it turns out that there is only one other match tomorrow, which actually involves Essex playing at The Oval v Kent, although that match is earlier in the day, so they will get more preparation time for Sunday, which places us at a disadvantage. On a brighter note, one advantage we can say we have over several other sides is that we appear to be one of the few counties to simply have five home matches and five away matches in the group stages of this competition, rather than playing some matches at neutral venues like Essex and Kent will be doing tomorrow.

It will be interesting to see whether we retain Miguel Cummins, recall James Harris, give a debut to Blake Cullen, or select an extra batsman and thus make up at least four overs through someone like Martin Andersson and/or Max Holden. The last of those options would be a big surprise, as that would surely mean selecting both Joe Cracknell and Jack Davies.

It is sad to see an article on our official website in which the first paragraph says “Toby Roland-Jones will miss the remainder of the 2020 season with an ongoing shoulder complaint” and the final paragraph more optimistically says “Although Toby will make a full recovery it is unlikely he will feature in any of the remaining fixtures this season”. After being one of six ever-presents in our Twenty20 campaign in 2019, I imagine that he would have once again featured extensively in this competition and in a few Bob Willis Trophy matches in 2020 had he been fit. Hopefully 2021 will go better for him and indeed for the rest of the planet.

Surrey have named a 14-man squad for this match consisting of Gareth Batty, Hashim Amla, Gus Atkinson, Scott Borthwick, Rory Burns, Matt Dunn, Laurie Evans, Ben Foakes, Will Jacks, Daniel Moriarty, Jamie Overton, Reece Topley, Jamie Smith and Mark Stoneman.

Posted by: dnb (IP Logged)
Date: 05 September, 2020 13:26

Nick Gubbins is playing this afternoon for Teddington against Ealing.

Date: 05 September, 2020 13:39

Quote:
dnb
Nick Gubbins is playing this afternoon for Teddington against Ealing.

and already dismissed for 4.

With a T20 match every other day, Its not like he needed a knock before tomorrow's visit to Chelmsford, so I trust he will be in the side against Essex.

If not, somethings up!

Date: 05 September, 2020 14:19

That would par for the course with The Middle. Not very coherent.

Date: 05 September, 2020 14:25

Maybe he asked for the chance to play a longer innings in a club match.

It seems he spent 33 balls and 39 minutes over his 4 runs, so maybe he was trying to get himself back in the mood for 4 day cricket.

[www.play-cricket.com]

Date: 05 September, 2020 16:51

Considering that Jofra Archer was not far from getting the England v West Indies Test series abandoned after visiting his home between matches, and Jordan Cox had to spend a week away from his Kent teammates after posing for a photograph with a member of the public, it seems surprising that Nick Gubbins is allowed to play club cricket the day before being due to play for Middlesex. Hopefully NHS Track and Trace will not once again inform him that he may have come close to someone with coronavirus.

It will be interesting to see what a par score will be tonight and which types of bowlers prosper, as the Essex v Kent match on the same pitch today saw Kent spending most of their innings looking like getting well past 200, only for them to have to settle for 192-6, which they nonetheless comfortably defended to win by 29 runs. Simon Harmer’s figures were 2-21, while fellow spinner Imran Qayyum took 3-25.

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 05 September, 2020 18:21

Davies in for Gubbins. Harris back for Cummins. We won the toss and decided to bat.

Posted by: Rocks&Boulders (IP Logged)
Date: 05 September, 2020 18:21

Won the toss and batting first.
Harris is playing though.

Young Jack Davies plays.

Date: 05 September, 2020 19:01

I am glad that Jack Davies has got an opportunity in this format, although I can’t say I feel the same about him having to come in at number 4 after 3.2 overs. Thankfully, that was the final wicket we lost in the powerplay.

Will Jacks entered this match with 1 wicket and an economy of 10.87 in 27 Twenty20 matches, but certainly enjoyed the 2 overs he bowled in the powerplay by dismissing Stevie Eskinazi and only conceding 9 runs. That will surely give confidence to Gareth Batty, although hopefully it will also suggest that Nathan Sowter and Luke Hollman will be a threat on this pitch. We will have to see whether we continue our reluctance of giving overs to part-time bowlers (if Martin Andersson can be included in that category), or whether we see whether Max Holden can do something similar with the ball to Jacks. Or, maybe our five main bowlers will all bowl so well, that I don't start crying out for us try a part-timer.

Posted by: Bring back the Crusaders (IP Logged)
Date: 05 September, 2020 19:25

Bit humiliating this - glad its behind closed doors!
We will struggle to make 100

Date: 05 September, 2020 19:54

If Middlesex are to win this match, we will surely have to get our defence of our total of 113-9 off to a good start. One of the (many) problems with not having many runs on the board is that it might make us even less inclined than usual to use more than five bowlers, despite the success Surrey had when they introduced Will Jacks and went on to get 12 overs out of three spinners.

A glimmer of hope for us is that run-scoring got harder during the earlier Essex v Kent match, so I would like to think that we will have a chance of winning, although of course Surrey have Hashim Amla, Ben Foakes and co to call upon. If they achieve their target quickly, then I can see some of our bowlers delivering a long way short of four overs.

It seemed like a strange decision to put James Harris in at number five ahead of John Simpson, Dan Lincoln and Luke Hollman, something which must have been done in the hope that those latter three would not be in and out early and to hopefully enable us to still have decent batsmen at the crease at the latter stages of the innings. However, I think it would be clutching at straws to say that the promotion worked, as all it did was merely delay when those players had to come to the crease, despite Simmo and Hollman going on to manage a partnership of 22, before Tom Helm, Nathan Sowter and Steven Finn were charged with trying to score big runs in the last two overs.

Posted by: Marlowboy (IP Logged)
Date: 05 September, 2020 19:54

......it will be exciting if we win this.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net