Ball tampering
Posted by: Fozzie (IP Logged)
Date: 06 September, 2020 15:47

Last month Mitch Claydon of Sussex took 3 wickets in their defeat against us at Radlett. He's now been suspended pending an investigation by the ECB into an allegation that he used hand sanitiser on the ball.

Just as well we didn't lose...

Re: Ball tampering
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 06 September, 2020 16:01

That's interesting.

A couple of times I saw him put his hand down the front of his trousers, so if he had a damp rag of sanitiser secured on the inside of his trousers then that is what he was up to.

Edit to add a bit more-

I wish I'd posted something on the match thread at the time, but it was so obvious I decided I must be wrong.

But if I spotted it I'm sure others will too.

I suppose the Middlesex support staff could hardly run on the field and demand he drop his trousers in front of the umpire in full public gaze, so I guess there is a correct way to make the complaint.

He put his hand down the front of his trousers in the same way a batsman adjusting his box would do.

But, umm, nothing down there to adjust if you're bowling.

Odd that it's taken several weeks for the allagation and suspension to be made public.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2020 16:48 by chunkyinargyll.

Posted by: Fozzie (IP Logged)
Date: 06 September, 2020 17:03

Quote:
chunkyinargyll

He put his hand down the front of his trousers in the same way a batsman adjusting his box would do.

But, umm, nothing down there to adjust if you're bowling.

Ball tampering in every sense!

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2020 11:53

No one ever 'fessed up to the incident that ultimately saw Surrey docked points for ball tampering, in a season which saw them relegated.

However, when I announced the point docking news to a colleague, he immediately said, "That'll be Mo' Akram", who was actually playing that match.

In previous seasons he had been the Fives and Heronians overseas pro in the Essex League, and never liked to take the new ball, always preferring one with a bit of "work" on it already. My mate was in the best position in the house to see the results of his alleged handiwork, as he was the keeper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net