Middle v Surrey T20 14/9/20
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 13:49

15 man squad named-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Finn (c), Andersson, Cracknell, Cullen, Cummins, Davies, Eskinazi, Harris, Helm, Holden, Lincoln, Murtagh, Simpson (wk), Sowter, Walallawita

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/09/2020 09:44 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middle v Surrey T20 14/9/20
Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 17:14

Need a win. A few more runs would help. Finn leading wicket taker. 12 . AV 11.25 . Esky second in batting. 273. AV 45.5.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 19:28

In yesterday’s win v Hampshire at Lord’s, Middlesex’s line-up named at the toss contained three fast bowlers and two spinners, but we found ourselves with little choice but to bring in an extra fast bowler after Luke Hollman ruled himself out of that match and tomorrow’s match by injuring his ankle after the toss. As that didn’t work out too badly for us, and as tomorrow’s match will probably be played on the same pitch, it will be interesting to see whether we name an identical line-up (or at least an identically-balanced side), or whether we do what we intended to do yesterday and select two spinners by handing a Twenty20 debut to Thilan Walallawita. We will have to see how the match goes to determine whether whatever balance or line-up we select works. If we decide to revert to three fast bowlers and two spinners, then I would have thought that the place of Miguel Cummins would be more vulnerable than that of Tom Helm, Tim Murtagh or Steven Finn.

If we bat first, it would be the seventh time in seven matches in this campaign!

Surrey have named a 15-man squad for this match consisting of Hashim Amla, Gus Atkinson, Gareth Batty, Scott Borthwick, Rory Burns, Rikki Clarke, Matt Dunn, Laurie Evans, Ben Foakes, Will Jacks, Dan Moriarty, Jamie Overton, Liam Plunkett, Jamie Smith and Reece Topley.

The success that Jacks, Moriarty and Batty enjoyed with the ball in the reverse match at The Oval means that it would surely suit us if the pitch plays similarly to how it played yesterday by not providing many favours to spinners.

Date: 14 September, 2020 19:14

I felt it was a blessing in disguise that Luke Hollman was unable to play v Hampshire at Lord’s on Saturday due to it enabling Middlesex to select four fast bowlers, all of whom were economical. We will have to see whether it turns out to be a blessing in disguise that he is unexpectedly fit for this match to give us an extra spin option at the expense of a fast bowler. As we are set to face a big target, one aspect in which Hollman’s inclusion ought to be a blessing in disguise is that he has good batting ability which will probably be required tonight. At least has already contributed by taking the catch to dismiss Will Jacks.

As I have said, I would prefer it if his pitch does not prove to be conducive to spin due to the players in Surrey’s line-up. However, the pitch seems to be playing differently compared to how it did on Saturday, as evidenced by the higher scores. All of our bowlers seem to be expensive, so at the moment, the pitch is not conducive to any kind of bowling, which I hope will also be the case when we bat.

Hollman will certainly be delighted that Joe Crackell is tonight making his professional debut, as the two players have grown up together at North Middlesex.

I suppose it isn’t a massive surprise that Dan Lincoln isn’t playing considering that he has not passed 24 in an innings in this campaign, although the innings in which he did so ought to have ensured he remained in the side considering it was an unbeaten innings off 9 balls which ensured that his and John Simpson’s partnership added 29 unbeaten (and, as it turned out, important) runs off the final 11 balls of the innings v Kent at Lord’s.

Stevie Eskinazi has spoken to The Cricketer, although I don't know what he has said, as I have not had an opportunity to read the article.

Date: 14 September, 2020 19:40

It will be a tough ask for Middlesex to achieve a target of 219, and it will no doubt require us to avoid losing early wickets and hopefully scoring early runs too (although I would be more overawed by us losing wickets rather than getting behind the rate.).

I was going to write that I hope that our sloppiness in the field in the last few overs doesn’t end up costing us. However, maybe it wouldn’t be the worst of things if it turns out to have cost us the match, as that would at least mean that we would have got close to Surrey’s huge score.

Date: 14 September, 2020 20:34

I said that I was more interested in Middlesex keeping wickets in hand than I was in keeping up the rate required, as great as it would be had we done the latter. We indeed did what I was focused on us doing.

Joe Crackell ought to be fairly happy with his professional debut, scoring 28 with 3 fours and living up to his surname by hitting a six that made a crack in the clocktower. I would much rather Crackell live up to his surname than Stevie Eskinazi!

Surrey hit 16 fours and 11 sixes, so we will need to achieve a similar boundary count. So far, we have hit 4 fours and 9 sixes, so we have managed to clear the ropes a satisfactory amount of times, although it would be nice if we could hit some fours when we can't hit sixes.

Date: 14 September, 2020 21:11

Usually, a score of 188-5 would be seen as a decent effort on Middlesex’s part. If only our target was a lot lower than 219. If we didn’t have to gamble in pursuit of that target, we could have passed 200.

I imagine that we will have to win our final three group matches if we are to make a rare venture to the quarter-finals.

Our chase was going well until Gareth Batty pulled a hamstring which Pete Waxman was unfortunately unable to remedy. Until then, we were scoring runs off Batty at will. Fellow spinner Dan Moriarty was also expensive up to that point after conceding 23 off his first two overs, although he pulled his figures back in his last couple of overs. In terms of economy, all of Surrey’s bowlers were shown up by Will Jacks.

Well done to Stevie Eskinazi on scoring 77 off 44 to take his tally of runs in this campaign to 350 in seven matches.

[edited as I initially wrote that we had two group matches left rather than three]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2020 21:15 by Jonathan Winsky.

Date: 14 September, 2020 21:14

Decent effort with the bat. Never gonna overhaul that. Nice cameo from Joe Cracknell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/09/2020 09:07 by Seaxe_man1.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 21:19

Good to see that even in the twilight of his career Batty remains as obnoxious as ever, with an unnecessary send off for Cracknell on debut.

We did well to stay in the hunt for as long as we did with such an inexperienced middle order.

Date: 14 September, 2020 23:08

Stevie Eskinazi has spoken to Middlesex’s YouTube page about this match:

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 07:58

The game was lost in the last few overs of the Surrey batting innings in my opinion. We let them score a few too many there and it looked a bit ragged at times. Great effort with the bat to get close though.

Date: 15 September, 2020 09:15

9 wide's and 4 no balls didn't help. Our outcricket not as good as some recent performances. I think all 14 with Joe Cracknell's debut have now played. A bonus for the future and a feather in the cap for Academy staff. If you can't dislodge a guy like Amla quickly, gonna be costly. Great effort by Esky, but a runrate of 11 over 20 overs, a big ask.

Date: 15 September, 2020 14:06

Read your notes on Joe Cracknell JW. As stated before looked our best batsman v Berks at MTS. Last night facing a handy Mexican attack was a step up. He didn't look out of place. He is lucky to have emerged into a more forward thinking coaching environment at Mx. Hope he continues to progress, as boy do we need Mx batters who can put bat to ball and make the opposition think.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net