Kent T20 16/9/20
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 13:58

15 man squad named-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Finn (c), Andersson, Cracknell, Cummins, Davies, Eskinazi, Harris, Helm, Holden, Hollman, Lincoln, Murtagh, Simpson (wk), Sowter, Walallawita.

Don't forget- 2 pm kick-off.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/09/2020 09:44 by BarmierKev.

Re: Kent T20 16/9/20
Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 15:17

The batting picks itself. Any changes bowling department?

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 22:21

I would be surprised if any of Tom Helm, Tim Murtagh and Steven Finn are left out for this match considering Helm has generally bowled well throughout this competition, Tim Murtagh followed up an economy of 5.00 v Hampshire on Saturday by recording an economy of 8.75 v Surrey last night which was bettered on either side by only Will Jacks, while Finn is captain. Unless Middlesex feel that little spin will be required or there are any worries about fitness or coronavirus, surely Nathan Sowter and Luke Hollman will retain their places.

In the batting department, I would not like anyone to lose their place, especially Joe Cracknell, although it would be nice if Dan Lincoln could return to the side.

We will have to win all three of our remaining group matches to have hope of reaching the quarter-finals.

Kent have named a 14-man squad for this match consisting of Daniel Bell-Drummond, Alex Blake, Jordan Cox, Zak Crawley, Joe Denly, Callum Haggett, Freddie Klaasen, Heino Kuhn, Jack Leaning, Matt Milnes, Marcus O’Riordan, Imran Qayyum, Ollie Robinson and Grant Stewart.

It sounds like the live stream of this match will be of a decent quality, as there will be “ball tracking and a multi-camera production using high definition cameras”. Like last night, Dave Fulton will be one of the commentators, although I doubt he will be wearing a Middlesex hat this time! However, I will have to settle for following this match by making regular sneaky looks at BBC at work due to it being a 2:00pm start, which is how I will also have to follow Friday’s match v Sussex at Lord’s.

Date: 16 September, 2020 15:19

Excellent coverage by Kent.

Joe Cracknell seems to have won the competition between Dan Lincoln, Jack Davies and himself for who should get a place next year in T20.

Luke Hollman showing why many think he might be a genuine all rounder, with 46 on his 20th birthday.

(Sm152)

Date: 16 September, 2020 17:00

Still just got our heads above water, with an outside chance of making the quarter-finals still a possibility.

Date: 16 September, 2020 17:09

Considering how close it was, it is worth mentioning one moment of controversy in our innings, when one of their fielders signalled 'six' which was very good of him, but I;m far from certain it was.

To have been six, he would have needed to have one foot on the ground over the boundary, with the ball in his hand. I'm not sure if that was the case, but good as the live stream was, the umpires obviously couldn't use it for confirmation.

In such a close match, that gave us victory.

Date: 16 September, 2020 17:21

Good to see the Academy lads progressing. Cracknell times and strikes the ball well as he did at MTS afore being run out by Fernandez.

Date: 16 September, 2020 17:24

Plus a good win which just about gives a chance of qualifying. Tough ask to win both away games. Lost at both venues last year. MTWD present at both.

Date: 16 September, 2020 17:53

For anyone who was out working, the whole match is here-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

The 'Was it a six, a four, or maybe even only a single' moment is 1 hour 40 minutes in to recording.

No way to slow it down, just attempt to freeze frame it- but I think we were lucky it was given as six.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 18:03

I thought the same, Jonathan. There was a scandalous suggestion that the fielder took his cue from the Middlesex balcony!

Commentary was excellent and I thought the parallel drawn between the styles of Cracknell and Stiriing was quite incisive.

I was thinking "tie" at one stage (as were the commentators). I wonder if two ties between teams would have been a first for T20, or indeed any form of cricket?

Adelaide

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 19:58

Well done to everyone who contributed towards Middlesex winning this match.

Once again, Tom Helm was able to prevent defeat after having less than 10 runs to defend off the final over, something which feels like a great achievement considering each of the preceding six overs had gone for between 11 and 16, with Helm beginning that final over having conceded 37 in three overs. The way Helm’s previous overs went makes his final over seem more of an achievement.

I have seen the replay of the controversial incident, and it certainly looks like the ball bounced just in front of the rope. The ball either landed outside the rope to make it an optical illusion from the point of view of those watching the video to whom it appeared the ball landed inside, or the ball landed inside the rope to make it an optical illusion from the point of view of Alex Blake and Heino Kuhn.

I was surprised that we replaced Jack Davies with Miguel Cummins from the line-up which played v Surrey at Lord’s on Monday, something which - unnecessarily in my opinion - weakened our batting department and strengthened our bowling department. About the only positive of making such a change to the balance of our side was that it would mean that we should reach the death overs with a choice of bowling options. The reason why I used the word ‘should’ is because when we balanced our side in this way v Hampshire at Lord’s in 2019, there were no death overs, as we were all out for 128, a score which Hampshire passed after 14.5 overs. Thankfully, the balance of our side didn’t cost us today considering we posted a good score despite having one fewer batsman, and we reached the death overs with a few of our bowlers having overs left.

About the only selection decision where big questions have to be asked was when we gave Joe Cracknell a second appearance of our campaign. It should have been his eighth appearance!

Despite Luke Hollman only bowling two overs, he was given the official Man of the Match award for his 46 off 26 and for those overs being economical.

Well done too to John Simpson for his 46 off 34 and to Tim Murtagh on once again being economical.

If Eoin Morgan is allowed to play in our final two group matches and/or any knockout matches, it would be interesting to see who he would replace. If we were to accommodate him, I would prefer us to go back to five bowlers.

Stuart Law has spoken to our YouTube page about this match:

Date: 16 September, 2020 21:51

Lengthy interview with Joe Cracknell and Luke Hollman-

[podcasts.apple.com]

Posted by: dnb (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 22:44

Eoin Morgan is flying out to the UAE tomorrow to play in the IPL so he won’t be playing for Middlesex.

Date: 17 September, 2020 06:40

If it wasn't for the IPL and he was 'available' for us, I'm sure he'd have needed a 'rest', so it never occurred to me he might be available.

Sussex next- and must win.

If we do win, we go above Sussex to third place, and if we also win last game Hampshire as well, then we will finish at least third, although it's hard to see us overtaking Surrey or Kent for first or second place.

Two third placers in the group stage go through to quarter-finals, and the good news is Durham are third in the north group with seven points, so the best they can get to is eleven points- so if we can win last two games we would get to the quarter-finals.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2020 07:01 by chunkyinargyll.

Date: 17 September, 2020 08:50

Yup chunky still interested. Kent streaming excellent with the voice of David Fulton on commentary. Adam Collins who kicked off Mx streaming commentary has been moved onto TMS team. He gives clear and descriptive commentary. Replaced Jim Maxwell as covid-19 sub I assume. The next T20 v Sussex is one to win. No dodgy no balls I hope.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net