Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Somerset Day. Ireland Day.........
Posted by: AGod
Date: 12/05/2018 18:25
The commentators don't seem to really get the difference between swing and seam. When the ball swings and then pitches and carries on curving away (completing the curve that began before it pitched), they constantly say 'it seamed away,' when really it didn't, it simply continued to swing after it had landed.

I said earlier today that my impression of yesterday's play was the ball swung much more than it seamed. And I thought the same in the 90 minutes or so that I was able to see today. Yet, if one relied solely on the commentators, one would think that it was seaming all over the place.

I think James Hildreth has provided evidence that would refute that notion, noting that "We still need a good deal more runs because it's really a good batting surface."

James wouldn't say that, I'm sure, if it had *seamed* everywhere.

James is no doubt saying that we need plenty more runs because he knows that a swinging ball could stop swinging at any point in a match/day/innings. And with the surface itself being good for batting on....hence the desire for a really big lead.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net