Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Somerset vs Kent - CC round one, Fri 05 Apr
Posted by: AGod
Date: 03/04/2019 10:07
There would appear to be rather more competition for bowling places than batting ones?

Craig Overton seems to have not completed overs in a match the other day - do we know if he's fit?

I understand that Jamie is, once again, sadly hors de combat, but will, apparently, start bowling again next week.

To be honest, I'm inclined to think that, in early season conditions, the extra height/pace of Overtons is less of a must-have anyway. Unless we contrive to produce an absolute pudding of a pitch in early April (which has happened before, see Warks game several years ago where Hildreth scored about 4,000), then a very "traditional," English seam attack with the likes of LG, Jack Brooks and the (admittedly non English), Josh Davey and Tim Gronewald, would seem to be the way to go anyway?

I'd imagine the batting is liable to more or less pick itself, though I should prefer to see Eddie Byrom in the top three but, to judge from Mr Hurry's comments at the press conference (which I've just watched), it sound like we may instead be getting Hildreth there "because James wants to play for England, and England have vacancies up there."
Whilst AH did add "obviously it must be right for the club too," I was left with the distinct impression that Hildreth at three is what will happen.

If it's a juicy, early season type track, then I'm far from convinced that Trescothick (of little foot movement), Azhar (with very few, I would imagine, games under his belt this early in an English season) and James (with an aggressive mind-set and a better attacking game than defensive one) represent the ideal triumvirate. I'd rather have rather more of a blocker ( I know Eddie can do more than simply block, but I'm talking about temperament rather than technique) in there.

I assume we're going to be ultra-conservative in terms of trying to keep the pitch dry, so could even be a no-spinner selection, possibly?

Thoughts on any of the above? Thoughts on likely team selection?

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net