Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: 'The Nearly Men' Lord's Final
Posted by: Wickham
Date: 26/05/2019 10:27
My condolences to stevecav. I’m glad that the last cricketing memory which he shared with his father was a happy one, with the win at Worcester.

Many congratulations to the team and management for a masterful performance yesterday. I’m particularly pleased for Trego and Hildreth - two players who have experienced so many runners-up positions and who given Somerset cricket and its supporters so much (often as brothers in arms).

Both Banton (with some audacious and breathtaking shots) and Hildreth (who took responsibility for getting us past the target and who played with his usual elegance) would have been worthy winners of the MotM award. But it was right that the award went to a bowler - Davey and Jove between them shaped the match. I’ve never seen Jove bowl better - he was measured, quick and hostile; and apart from in the last over slog, was very economical. Somerset fielded brilliantly, especially LG, Jove and Abell, and this must have added to the pressure on the Hampshire batsmen.

I was surprised that Hampshire picked six bowlers - it meant that the middle-order batsmen felt unable to take risks, because they knew how little was to follow.

It was a pleasure to share the day with LoL and Bobstan - and to chat to Bloke/Si and Wimborne John (each of whom is late of this parish).

It felt a real privilege that the team decided to sing the team song in front of the supporters, rather than in the dressing room (have a look on the official Twitter feed or Facebook page, if you’ve not seen it).

One vignette as the on-field celebrations were dying down - as I was leaving, I saw Craig Overton gently and sympathetically shepherding a young supporter, much the worse for wear, off the pitch and onto the spectator area, so that the supporter wouldn’t fall foul of the stewards. A lesser man would have left the supporter to his own devices, but Craig broke away from his fellow players to perform that act of kindness and responsibility, out of the main public gaze.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net