Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: FAKE2020 CC1 Yorkshire and the fate of the Fantasy?
Posted by: Farmer White
Date: 12/06/2020 12:02
Enough wisdom Somerset La La La to spend my life supporting Somerset ...

Selection it seems is a tough old job with a winning team and others pushing for places.

For what it is worth, in four-day cricket my selection starts with Davies. He is the best keeper. Catches win matches and a top keeper keeps batsmen honest. I always go back to the question someone put to me at a match when Davies' place was under scrutiny: "If you were Jack Leach who would you want behind the stumps?" So, to my mind, Davies keeps. As to his batting, he has not set the world afire in the Fantasy CC and he didn't in the 2019 CC. However, when I was putting my 2019 reports together for my book I was struck by the number of times Davies was the glue who batted through with the tail and scored useful 30s or thereabouts which often turned a headache score into a manageable one. He gets in on his keeping alone and, in the real game, often achieves more with the bat than is immediately obvious. I don't have easy access to the fantasy facts so can't say to what extent his fantasy work with the bat reflects his 2019 contribution but his runs are a bonus, his keeping is essential.

As to Banton, tough though it is, I would stick with the batting formula that has worked, with the notable exception of the Essex math, this far unless someone starts to flag, in which case Banton would have to be thought hard about alongside Kervezee and Carberry.

Leach, assuming he is fit, in for VDM is fairly straightforward I think much as I like VDM's combativeness.

The toughest choice is whether or not to keep Bess. Given the three seamers plus Abell formula has worked well thus far, I would, especially as we are getting deeper into the season, pitches may start to develop some turn and Yorkshire topped 500 at Headingley in last year's match. And a spinner turning it in each direction adds to the variety and the questions that are asked of the batsmen

If Bess is retained that creates another tough choice. Stick with the three successful seamers from the last match or drop one for Craig O? Gregory has to play, so that leaves two from Jamie O, Craig O and Brooks. I would want Jamie's pace and Craig's accuracy and lift at Headingley so it is Brooks that goes. Perhaps the toughest decision of the lot because, although I have always worried about his consistency in the real game, he has performed consistently well in the fantasy game. I just think the two Overtons and Gregory are the best mix for Headingley.

Thus speaketh the wisdom of the Farmer SLLL. You should though be aware, my wisdom has an awful habit of metamorphosing into the sort of farce that Brian Rix would have been proud of; or, as my old English teacher would have insisted I put it: of which Brian Rix would have been proud.

Farmer

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net