Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: FAKE 2020 CHAMPIONS Looking to finish in style
Posted by: Farmer White
Date: 03/07/2020 20:55
If the last two years are anything to go by, and I assume the software will take those into account, Hampshire will prepare a pitch for Abbott. If so, there will not be much in it for spinners. I would start my bowling team sheet with the two Overtons because the bounce they get may be our most effective response. The other two would be Gregory and Davey. In the last two CC matches Somerset have played at Southampton 71 wickets have been taken by pace and three by spin.

The Somerset wickets were shared as follows:

9 Craig O
8 Davey
7 Gregory
4 Jamie O (only played in 2018)
3 Abell
1 Green
1 Bess
1 van der Merwe

As to spin, I think that should probably wait for Essex. At Southampton, Leach played in 2018 and didn't bowl. Bess and van der Merwe played in 2019 and bowled 17 overs between them for two wickets. Only one bowled in each innings. Hampshire played Dawson in both matches and, one over apart, he bowled in only one innings and took two wickets. Both were short matches, the first was over in two days. Somerset lost heavily on both occasions.

Depending on the pitch report this may just be a seven-batsman match and no spinner, which might mean it would make sense to play Azhar. As to the seventh batsman, I think it would be hard to explain to Carberry why Byrom took the place ahead of him, given his performances at the beginning of the season and his success for Hampshire on this ground over a decade. I appreciate the point of going for Byrom, he and Banton might make a very useful left-right future opening partnership. But if the purpose is to win this match, because of the recent history, and subject to the pitch report, I would go for:

Azhar, Banton, Bartlett, Hildreth, Abell, Davies, Carberry, Gregory, Overton C, Overton J, Davey.

Although there is a case for swapping Banton and Carberry to split the left-handers.

Then, probably back to five bowlers and more spin for Essex.

Farmer

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net