Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: AGM on Monday
Posted by: Supporting Middlesex since 1999
Date: 01/04/2019 20:35
The three most interesting moments at the AGM were the announcement of who has been elected to the new board, news about where the ground Middlesex wish to build may be located, and the election of Mike Selvey as president. I will write about the first two issues on separate threads unless anyone writes about the issues on this or another thread before I do so.

About the only mention of The 100 was when the top table mentioned that it poses an ‘existential threat’ to the club, that it could make the present T20 Blast a secondary tournament (due to the likelihood it will be played earlier in the season and the possibility that star overseas players would prefer to play at The 100), and that the negative effect it could have on our finances makes it even more important that we find other ways to raise revenue, hence our desire to build a second ground and our decision to promote Rob Lynch from his role as Commercial Director to a management role as Chief Operations Officer. There was no talk about revoking whatever article was triggered to create The 100, as I don’t think there is much that anyone can do about it, other than prepare.

Treasurer David Kendix spoke about our finances, and he mentioned that one of the reasons for what he admitted to be a disappointing financial performance that we did not have as many players as we would have liked on ECB central or incremental contracts over the last 12 or so months, which is something he has also said in previous years. This brings home the importance of providing players for England. Like many supporters, I would like to have our England players available for as much of the season as possible and for their management to keep their hands off our squad. However, the financial importance of producing England players makes me feel a bit guilty for holding this view.

As the winter saw it being announced that efforts were being made to produce a fair fixturelist for division two of the County Championship in 2019 and for division one thereafter, a question was asked about how this was achieved, and Kendix answered this question too, as I think he played a part in the creation of the formula, which wasn’t a great surprise considering his involvement in the various international rankings ICC use. I think he said that the previous season’s finishing positions were taken into account, and teams were divided into pairs along the lines of 1st and 2nd (or maybe the two relegated sides), 3rd and 4th, 5th and 6th etc. Each team plays one team from each pairing once and the other teams twice. This would then give everyone a fixturelist of equal difficulty. I suppose I can’t disagree with this formula. My personal belief is that if we competed near the top of the table, I would prefer to us play the other top teams twice each in order to have maximum opportunity to take points off our rivals, and that if we were near the bottom, then I would prefer us to play the top teams as little as possible to reduce our chances of losing. I suppose that the formula used would satisfy me in both scenarios.

Selvey lamented the fact that the likes of the Hearnes, Patsy Hendren and Fred Titmus do not have anything named after them at Lord’s despite two of the gates, one of the gardens and some of the bars not being named after anyone, so it was suggested that maybe Selvey should push for this recognition during his two years as president.

As our coaches and players were involved in the friendly v Somerset at Taunton, none of them were present.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net