Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Thoughts from a newbie
Posted by: Stephen1973
Date: 06/05/2019 18:27
Hi everyone,
I’ve been lurking here for ages and the forum is actually responsible for me getting a season membership before I’d ever been to see a live match (aside from one day of an England test).

I’ve loved cricket since a boy though for me that largely meant watching England get whitewashed every summer by the Windies. It didn’t matter, I’d spend all summer long watching Test Matches and county games on the Beeb.

Originally from Newcastle and no matter how rubbish our owners are, I could never support anyone else but from the age of 8 TIL 30 lived in and around Bushey Heath so I can legitimately claim Middlesex as my cricket team.

I’ve not gone to any games before, partly as I now live in Leavesden so it is a real slog to get to Lords by 3 sets of public transport and plenty of waiting around... at m6 end at least. And also I started my own business 5 years ago and never get an6 time off so by getting a season ticket I thought I’d force myself to get away.

So far I’ve been to the freezing cold county match against Lancashire, the slightly warmer game at Radlett last week and a bit of yesterday’s match.

It will be nice to join in the banter here, even if I’m not up in all the club intricacies. Maybe even meet a few of you later in the season.

I’ve loved watching the matches live, and hope to carry on for the next few decades.

My only slight disappointments is there isn’t much in the way of food at Lords for the county games (less still if you have gluten issues like me!).

Also maybe naively, I was looking forward to a summer of 4 day games and a sprinkling of one dayers. Twenty20 isn’t for me at all so having paid all the money, it’s a bit sad that just when the weather gets nicer there will be a bit of a drought or 4 day games until coincidentally the weather gets colder again in September.

I’m a huge baseball fan and going to see the series in June between The a Red Sox and Yankees, but that sport is designed for a 3 or 4 hour smash, not so sure cricket is.

Apart from the food, Lords is great and I really enjoyed Radlett.

I haven’t been in the Pavilion yet, in my part of town, dressing up on public transport usually means you’re going to court!

Out of interest is there anywhere I can find out match attendances. I’ve always been into attendance figures for some reason and whilst I’m sure in the 80s they were listed in papers, I can’t find any for Middlesex.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net