Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: The Horror ..............the horror ..................
Posted by: Andrew Dow
Date: 29/07/2020 19:37
FT, I am, by now, reasonably familiar with the view of the Pavillion from the other end of the ground.

It's been unchanged at least since I first sat at the Nursery End in, if memory serves, about 1976, when Middlesex played Notts and Tim Lamb scored his highest ever, going in as night watchman.

However, yes, as a first essay into modernisation, the old Warner looked very incongruous, resembling an oversize motorway filling station, placed there by accident, but without the attractive green BP paint and signs.

The Oval, ....... despite - for a long, long time it being the ground where I seemed to see more memorable events than those at Lord's - Radley's dab down to third man in 1976, Malcolm's 9 - 67, my hero taking no wickets against Australia following his triumphant Headingley debut, Hussain's England reaching rock bottom against New Zealand, with Ed Giddins in the side, and being roundly boo'ed by the home crowd, from which the only way had to be up - I really could not care less what might happen to it. It became a low, base, drab, concrete enshrouded sports ground in South London, with creeper draped over one end, a long time ago. - Good fast wicket, though.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net